CENTURY 21 CANADA LIMITED PARTNERSHIP
Century 21 Canada Limited Partnership (“CENTURY 21”) recognizes the importance of protecting the personal information of our Customers, our prospective customers, brokers and sales people with our franchisees and anyone else from whom we may collect personal information from time to time whether in the course of real estate transactions or otherwise.
(“You”), how we may use it, how and to whom we may disclose it, your right to access your personal information which we have collected and your right to correct or change that information where You believe it may be inaccurate. At CENTURY 21 we hope to give You as much control about your personal information as possible.
CENTURY 21 and its Franchisees
What We Mean By Personal Information?
Personal information is any information in whatever form about an identifiable individual. However, it does not include:
- your name or information which would enable us to contact You at your place of employment including your name, position name or title, business telephone number, business address, business email and business fax number;
- personal information about You that is publicly available information such as information available from a public registry or contained in a telephone book;
- aggregated information that cannot be associated with You as a specific individual; and
- information which is not about a person but which is about a company, association or another organization.
What Personal Information Does CENTURY 21 Collect?
CENTURY 21 collects the following personal information:
- personal information which You voluntarily provide to us when You visit a CENTURY 21 office (a Franchisee’s office) or that is otherwise provided directly to CENTURY 21, such as by telephone, email, mail or fax;
- photographic images of your property, descriptions of the property and its sale price for marketing purposes, but only where we have obtained your prior consent; and
Except where permitted by law, CENTURY 21 collects, uses and discloses your personal information with your knowledge and consent and we will do so fairly and openly.
How We Use Your Personal Information
CENTURY 21 uses personal information for the following purposes:
- to put You in touch with a broker or sales person with one of our Franchisees who may contact You to assist You with listing property for sale or purchasing property;
- to assist the broker or sales person in finding appropriate property for You;
- unless You choose to opt-out, CENTURY 21 may use information about your home in marketing material (we will not use your name), and may use your contact information to promote and market additional services, products and special offers from CENTURY 21; and
Why We Disclose Your Personal Information
- CENTURY 21 discloses personal information when it makes the personal information a person has provided online available to its Franchisees and their brokers and sales people.
CENTURY 21 reserves the right to collect, use and disclose other personal information without your knowledge or consent if we are required to do so or if we are allowed to by law.
Except where required or permitted to do so without your consent, CENTURY 21 only collects your personal information with your consent. In most cases, CENTURY 21 relies on express consent. However, where the purpose of the collection of personal information is obvious on its face, CENTURY 21 may rely on your implied or deemed consent.
In some cases, such as using your personal information for marketing services to You, CENTURY 21 will rely on opt-out consent. (You will receive the information unless You advise us You do not wish to receive it.)
CENTURY 21 only collects personal information where it is reasonably necessary to provide the service which You are seeking and which we have agreed to provide. We do not use deceptive or misleading practices to obtain your consent.
CENTURY 21 does not require You to consent to the collection, use or disclosure of personal information as a condition of the supply of a service by us unless such collection, use or disclosure is required to fulfill the aforementioned purposes of collection.
CENTURY 21 reserves the right to collect, use or disclose personal information in certain limited circumstances, without your knowledge and consent, where required or permitted by law.
You may withdraw your consent to the collection, use and disclosure of personal information in connection with the services that You have requested from us at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. CENTURY 21 will inform You of the implications of withdrawing your consent. If You wish to withdraw your consent at any time, please contact CENTURY 21’s Privacy Officer (see below for contact information).
Access To Your Personal Information
You have the right to access your personal information in the possession or control of CENTURY 21 and to know how that personal information has been and is being used, and to whom it has been disclosed. CENTURY 21 reserves the right to refuse to comply with all or part of a request where we are required to or are permitted to refuse to do so by the provisions of applicable personal information protection legislation.
Applications must be in writing and be sent to our Privacy Officer either by mail or email at the addresses set out below. Applications should have sufficient detail that allows us to identify You and the personal information You are requesting.
You may ask to have errors or omissions in your personal information in our possession or control corrected. If we are satisfied that the correction is reasonably necessary, we will correct the personal information and notify anyone to whom we have provided the personal information in the previous 12 months of the correction. If we are not satisfied that the correction should be made, we will annotate the personal information under our control of the correction requested but not made.
Requests for access and correction will usually be responded to within 30 calendar days of receiving the request unless we apply to the applicable Privacy Commissioner for an extension. We charge $25 plus $.25 per page for providing You with copies of your personal information. In the event that it will take an unusually long time to collect your personal information, we may charge an additional amount. In each case, we will give You a full quote before photocopying the personal information. There is no charge for correcting personal information.
We will assist You with your request and will respond as accurately and completely as reasonably possible. Where we refuse all or part of your request, we will give You the reasons for the refusal and the applicable legislation on which we base our refusal; the name and contact information of someone within CENTURY 21 who can explain the basis for the refusal and of your right to apply to a Privacy Commissioner for review.
How We Protect Personal Information
CENTURY 21 makes reasonable efforts to ensure that Your personal information is protected against loss and unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modifying, disposal or similar risks. This protection applies in relation to personal information stored in both electronic and hard copy form and will vary depending on the sensitivity of the information.
Access to non-public personal information is restricted to selected employees or representatives on a need-to-know basis. In addition, CENTURY 21 employs generally accepted information security techniques, such as firewalls and access control procedures in order to protect personal information against unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modifying, disposal or similar risk.
Retention of Personal Information
CENTURY 21 retains personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose(s) for which it was collected and to comply with applicable laws. Personal information which is collected and used to make a decision about You is retained for at least one year. Your consent to such purpose(s) remains valid after termination of CENTURY 21’s relationship with You.
You may contact our Privacy Officer as follows:
CENTURY 21 Canada Limited Partnership
700-1199 West Pender Street
Canada V6E 2R1
If You are unhappy about the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information by CENTURY 21, we ask that You discuss the matter further with our Privacy Officer.
If You are not satisfied with the response, You may make an application or complaint to the appropriate Privacy Commissioner.
Note to Brokers and Sales People
In order to promote the services of our Franchisees and their brokers and sales people, CENTURY 21 collects certain personal information about them, such as photographs and contact information, in a variety of ways, including through OnlineOffice registration. This information is disclosed by CENTURY 21 when it makes the information available for Customers to access on the Website or through other means by which CENTURY 21 promotes their services.
CENTURY 21 CANADA LIMITED PARTNERSHIP
The following addresses the personal information Century 21 Canada Limited Partnership (“CENTURY 21”) may collect about You during any interaction with our website (the “Website”).
Types of Personal Information
We receive two types of personal information from Customers who visit the Website: (1) personal information that Customers provide through registration or other communication on the Website; and (2) personal information CENTURY 21 gathers through aggregated tracking procedures, such as tallying the number of page views throughout the Website over a given period of time. The second type of personal information enables us to tailor the Website content to better meet the needs of our Customers. However, we assure You that CENTURY 21 will not disclose your personal information to third parties except as permitted by applicable law.
CENTURY 21 and its Franchisees
As a franchisor, CENTURY 21 does not provide real estate broker services. Real estate broker services are provided exclusively by CENTURY 21 franchisees (“Franchisees”). Each Franchisee is an independently owned and operated real estate broker business. Customers applying for services through the Website apply through a Franchisee, not through CENTURY 21. While CENTURY 21 has undertaken extensive measures to control and ensure the privacy and security of personal information obtained through the Website, it does not own or control the operations of its Franchisees. Customers and prospective customers who have concerns about the treatment of their personal information by a Franchisee with which they are dealing are urged to contact that Franchisee directly.
How Does CENTURY 21 Collect Personal Information?
- Registration: CENTURY 21 does not collect your personal information through the Website except when such personal information is provided to us on a voluntary basis.
For example, CENTURY 21 will collect a user’s name, address, phone number and/or e-
- Use of IP Addresses: An IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever You are surfing the Internet. Web servers automatically identify your computer by its IP address.
CENTURY 21 and/or its affiliates collect IP addresses for the purposes of system administration, to report aggregated information to our advertisers, and to audit the use of the Website. When Customers request pages from the Website, our servers log the requesting Customers’ IP addresses. Except where You participate in any online transaction CENTURY 21 may offer from time to time, we normally will not link IP addresses to anything personally identifiable, which means that Customers’ sessions will be logged, but Customer identity remains anonymous to us. We can and will use IP addresses to identify a Customer when we feel it is necessary to enforce compliance with our rules or terms of service or to protect our service, the Website, or any person, or where it is otherwise permitted by law.
By showing how and when Customers use the Website, cookies help us see which areas are popular and which are not. Many improvements and updates to the Website are based on data collected using cookies, such as the total number of visitors and pages viewed in a given period of time. This kind of information is most easily tracked using cookies.
Most browsers are initially set up to accept cookies. You can reset your Web browser to either refuse all cookies or indicate when a cookie is being sent, with a concurrent option to accept or receive the cookie. However, note that some of the services offered on the Website will not function properly or may be considerably slower if You refuse to receive cookies. For example, without cookies, You will not be able to set personalized preferences. You might also encounter difficulties participating in online transactions offered on the Website from time to time.
Occasionally, You may receive cookies from our advertisers. CENTURY 21 and/or its affiliates do not control these cookies. The use of advertising cookies sent by third-party servers is standard in the Internet industry.
(iii) Other: CENTURY 21 automatically collects anonymous statistical information regarding usage of the Website. For instance, the Website will recognize the type of browser you are using (Netscape, Internet Explorer, Safari, etc.), the address of the Internet Service Provider You are using, the site that linked You to the Website, the pages You visit at the Website and similar information. None of this information identifies You personally.
With Whom Does CENTURY 21 Share Your Personal Information?
As a general rule, CENTURY 21 will not disclose any of your personal information except when we have your permission or under special circumstances, such as when we believe in good faith that the law requires it or under other specified circumstances, including those described below:
- Business Partners & Sponsors: CENTURY 21 may disclose some or all your personal information to business partners or sponsors, but this use will be specifically described to You prior to either the collection or transfer of the personal information. Many promotions offer opportunities to request additional information from sponsors. By requesting more information, You give CENTURY 21 permission to transfer your personal information to the sponsor so they can fulfill your request. In many instances, only your e-mail address will be shared with the sponsor. If we intend on sharing more personal information with the sponsor than your e-mail, You will be notified prior to the transfer.
- Third Party Data and Data in the Aggregate: From time to time, on the Website You may be offered the opportunity to receive material or special offers from third parties. If You opt to receive information from these third parties, CENTURY 21 will (with your permission) share your name and e-mail address with such third parties. Under confidentiality agreements, CENTURY 21 may match Customer information with third party data. Also, CENTURY 21 may disclose aggregated Customer statistics (i.e., where we disclose a characteristic of our Customers as a group and not as individuals) in order
to describe our services to prospective partners, advertisers, and other third parties, and for other lawful purposes.
- Service Providers: Information CENTURY 21 receives through the Website is provided to services providers retained by CENTURY 21 including Filogix Inc. and WheretoLive.com, Inc., in order to organize and distribute appropriate personal information to enable CENTURY 21 and its Franchisees to communicate with its Customers and to provide information about marketing initiatives that may be of interest to its Customers.
How Can You Control the Use of Your Personal Information?
CENTURY 21 Privacy Officer
700-1199 West Pender Street
Canada V6E 2R1
Phone: (604) 606-2100
Fax: (604) 606-2125
What happens when You link to a Third Party Website?
You should be aware that when You are on the Website You could be directed to other third party websites that are beyond our control. There may, from time to time, be links to other third party websites from the Website that take You outside our service areas. For example, if You “click” on a banner advertisement on the Website, the “click” typically takes You off the Website. These other sites may include websites of advertisers, sponsors and partners that may use CENTURY 21’s and/or its affiliates’ and/or its Franchisees’ logos as part of a co-branding agreement. These other websites may send their own cookies to Customers, or otherwise collect data or solicit information.
Please keep in mind that whenever You give out personal information online (for example, via message boards or chat lines), that personal information can be collected and used by people You do not know. While CENTURY 21, its affiliates and its Franchisees strive to protect their Customers’ personal information and privacy, we cannot guarantee the security of any personal information You disclose online and so You disclose such information at your own risk.
Is your Personal Information Secure from Others using the CENTURY 21 Website?
The importance of securing your personal information is of the utmost concern to us. We exercise great care in providing secure transmission of your information from your computer to our servers. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, CENTURY 21 and its affiliates cannot promise or warrant the security of any personal information You transmit to us, including through the use of our online products or services. Any such transmission is done so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission, CENTURY 21 uses industry standard efforts to safeguard the confidentiality of your personal information, such as firewalls and Secure Socket Layers. However, ironclad security does not yet exist on the Internet.